The best example of the beauty of the Buddhist architecture of Luang Prabang is the Wat Xieng Thong Temple. This Wat Xieng Thong Temple, built in the year 1560 and whose literal translation means Temple of the Golden City, is a masterpiece decorated with mosaics and carvings in wood that Nam Khan rises next to the Mekong River and the River in the historic centre of the city of Luang Prabang (Laos).
The most valuable and well known legacy of the temple Wat Xieng Thong is a mosaic in a tree called the tree of life, representing the legend of construction of the temple Wat Xieng Thong. The tree of life mosaic is made of glass of Red, work of a master craftsman Lao in the year 1960, posted on the back of the main temple wall of Wat Xieng Thong.
Legend of how the tree of life mosaic has built the temple Wat Xieng Thong, whose legend has it that 2 hermits decided to create the temple next to a tree of fire on the banks of the river.
One of unique relics that keeps the temple Wat Xieng Thong is a funeral carriage, the carriage is located in a building decorated with teak wood carvings painted in golden color of exquisite detail, these wood carvings depicting scenes from the book Holy Ramayana.
The funeral carriage once toured the streets of the city of Luang Prabang, carrying the mortal remains of the last Kings of Laos. It impresses the detail of the float with the 7-headed serpent.
This carriage, whose name is Royal cremation chariot, carries an urn containing the remains of the last Kings of Laos.
The chariot of cremation occupies the entire space, leaving only a small hole next to the walls occupied by statues of Buddha. The walls are decorated with mosaics representing everyday scenes of life in Laos.
The most important building of all who make up Wat Xieng Thong is the ordination Hall, main building decorated in wood and whose rear façade is the tree of life.
The most impressive of the ordination Hall are roofs on three levels that descend almost to touch the ground, with the rising of the Sun, Golden wood carvings show all its brilliance and splendor, a very nice contrast dark wood with carved gilded counterpart of the mosaics in blue base glass.
Inside the ordination hall where kings were crowned until 1975, there is a small altar.
One of the largest structures near the main temple is known by French historians such as La Chapelle Rouge, i.e. the Red Chapel. Inside is a bronze sculpture of reclining Buddha believed dates back to the origins of the temple Wat Xieng Thong.
He was built in 1828 the Tripitaka library which is to host the sacred Tripitaka Scriptures, this building is closed and is not possible to access to its interior.
This small canopy supported by 4 columns double roof called the Pavilion of the seated Buddha located in the gardens of the temple Wat Xieng Thong.
In the courtyard of the temple Wat Xieng Thong highlight is the drum tower, pavilion sitting Buddha and stupas which decorate the place.
Next to the flag of the sitting Buddha stupas there are 2, one of these stupas is beautifully decorated with blue mosaic crystals.