La Vang Holy Land - Where art sublimates.
La Vang Holy Land is a shrine located in Hai Lang district, Quang Tri Province. Christians believe that Mary showed flexibility in this area in 1798 and a church was erected near the three banyan trees, where the apparitions dwell and is an important place of pilgrimage for Catholics of Vietnam. La Vang Holy was awarded by the Vatican Holy and is the Emirate Palace of La Vang Cathedral since 1961.
Through many ups and downs, La Vang was reconstructed several times. During the reconstruction, the complex of statues in this sanctuary--the creation of sculptor Le Ngoc Hue (also known as Bernard Hue, born 1936 in Hue) and his talented student - Mai Chung.
Le Ngoc Hue graduated from the Fine Arts College Montpeller (France) and was a professor of Hue College of Fine Arts. He blew a new wind of modernist sculpture into Vietnam’s sculpture.
The complex of statues in the La Vang Holy Land was created in 1961-1962, including 15 statues made of white cement, which are placed on pedestals along the road from the gate to the Rosary Square. The square is 30 x 480 meters in area. This leads to the temple and the outdoor rostra, which is the epitome of the Nam Giao Esplanade in Hue.
In summer 1972, the Rosary Square was bombed and some statues were destroyed or severely dented. Only three artificial banyan trees at the Mary statue were intact. The desolation lasted until 1975. Since 1995, the Rosary Square was rebuilt and the complex of states was also restored.