Get Real Experiences From Off The Beaten Track
- Explore Vietnam’s war-time history Visit Dien Bien Phu, A-1 Hill and Song La prisons, relics of Vietnam’s tragic military history.
- See remote Muong Lay Travel near the Lao border to explore Muong Lay, an area of beautiful mountains and a stunning lake.
- Encounter colourful hilltribes Explore the hills around Sapa and visit villages inhabited by the Red Zao and Blue Hmong minorities.
Hanoi to Son La (320 km): 6 hours
Begin this 6-day tour in northwest Vietnam with a 07:00 departure from Hanoi for Son La. The road departing Hanoi through the Red River Delta region is fairly flat, however this soon gives way to limestone Karst Mountains.
Arrive in Son La in the late afternoon and enjoy the rest of the day free at leisure.
Accommodation: Homestay Son La
Son La to Dien Bien Phu (140 km): 4 hours
The day begins with an 08:00 departure for Dien Bien Phu. En route, pay a visit to the Son La prison, which was built by the French in 1908 in order to jail anti-colonialist Vietnamese. Destroyed by American planes during the Vietnam War, the prison has since been restored.
After the visit, transfer toward Muong Phang located 35 km outside the city of Dien Bien Phu where a local lunch will be waiting. After lunch, pay a visit to the headquarters of General Giap, used during the battle of Dien Bien Phu. The site is located inside a dense jungle lined with tunnels built to protect from French bombings.
After the visit, transfer to Dien Bien Phu City. En route, stop in an ethnic Thai village surrounded by picturesque rice fields.
Accommodation: Overnight in Dien Bien Phu.
Dien Bien Phu to Muong Lay (100 km): 3 hours
After breakfast at the hotel, visit the museum of Dien Bien Phu and continue onwards to ‘A1 Hill’, a site which saw some of the fiercest fighting between French and Vietnamese forces during the battle of Dien Bien Phu in 1946. Enjoy lunch in a local restaurant here.
After lunch, depart to Muong Lay. Boasting some of the most remote communities in Vietnam and skirting neighboring Lao's Xa Ly Province, Muong Lay is a stunning area and home to some of the country’s most colorful hill tribes. En route, stop to admire the stunning scenery that lines the way.
Accommodation: Homestay in Muong Lay.
Muong Lay to Sapa 180 km: 5 hours
Depart around 08:00 for Sapa. This is perhaps the trip’s best drive as the scenery is magnificent; the fertile valleys surrounded by huge mountains are a sight to behold. Arrival in Sapa in the late afternoon. Relax in Sapa and dinner on your own.
Accommodation: Hotel in Sapa.
After breakfast, depart with the guide on an 'off the beaten track' trek to discover lesser-known areas outside of Sapa town. Leave Sapa for the 30-minute winding road transfer to Ban Khoang Valley. Enjoy the breathtaking views of Hoang Lien Son Mountain Range along the way, also known as The Tonkinese Alps.
The trip’s first stop is at Lu Khau Village in Ban Khoang Valley, home to Blue Hmong and Red Zao communities. Explore the village on foot, meet the friendly local people and learn about their colorful culture and lifestyle in the countryside. Depart from Ban Khoang Valley and continue 8km by road to Ta Giang Phinh Valley and enjoy a local lunch there.
This afternoon, take a leisurely walk through the charming Ta Giang Phinh Valley. Walk on the village path which winds down the impressive valley, home to Blue Hmong ethnic minority people. Visit some local houses to see handicrafts workshops and observe villagers working in the fields tending to their crops with buffalos.
Mid-late afternoon transfer back to Sapa town and the remainder of the afternoon and evening is at leisure.
- Please Note: Appropriate footwear must be worn on treks in Sapa. Also note that if conditions are wet, programs may be changed.
- Accommodation: Hotel in in Sapa.
Sapa to Hanoi (380 km): 5 hours by private car
This morning is at leisure to relax or explore Sapa town and its surroundings independently. Wander the town’s markets or enjoy a spectacular cable car ride to the summit of Mt Fansipan – the highest mountain in Indochina (surcharge is payable). If the weather is clear the panoramic views are amazing.
Return to the hotel for a checkout by 12:00. In the afternoon, begin the 5 hour-drive back to Hanoi.
Note: The itinerary is subject to change based on the weather and road conditions, especially during monsoon season (July – September)
Price & Inclusion
|2 pax||3 - 4 pax||5 - 7 pax||8 - 10 pax|
|Standard (2*)||USD $498||USD $337||USD $285||USD $260|
NOTE: PRICE PER PERSON
* Please contact our travel consultants at email@example.com to get discount for big group OR special price for children (under 10 years old).
* Private tour for a solo traveler is also available with a surcharge. Single supplement: applies for those who travelling with others but requires an single room for him/herself.
* The prices above are for the ready-to-book adventure outlined in this detailed program which has been handcrafted by our product experts to include the best of every destination. Our travel consultants are also happy to customize this journey to suit your specific interests and style of travel: longer or shorter stays, offer hotel upgrades, or add an extension to additional places of interes
1 night homestay in Son La
1 night homestay in Dien Bien Phu
1 night homestay in Muong Lay
2 nights homestay in Sapa
06 Breakfast, 05 Lunch
Air-conditioning car with safe driver
- Accommodation in a shared twin or shared double room
- Train tickets Lao Cai - Hanoi in shared cabin
- Meals as mentioned (B= Breakfast, L= Lunch, D= Dinner)
- English or French speaking guide (for other languages supplements apply)
- Tours and transfers as mentioned by private air conditioned vehicle
- Entrance fees for mentioned visits
- Other meals than mentioned
- Other services than mentioned
- International and domestic flights
- Laundry, telephone calls and expenditure of a personal nature
- Tips, travel insurance
- We strongly recommend the purchase of travel insurance (covering emergency medical evacuation) for trips to Vietnam.
- Prices are valid 30 days from date of offer. Past this date price and conditions may be readjusted.
- The cost of air tickets is subject to change without prior notice by the airlines.
- Reservations during peak times (Christmas, New Year, Vietnamese Lunar New Year, National Holidays) may be subject to supplementary charges.
- Rooms at hotels are available only from 1400 on arrival day till 1200 on departure date. A supplement will be added if early check-in or late check-out is desired.
- Please note that all the above services & tours have yet to be booked, they are proposed for your information only and we will not make any reservations before we receive your confirmation to do so.
- If one or some proposed service(s) is (are) not available at the moment of booking, we will try to find other possibilities/options or other similar service(s) in order to avoid changes to the program.