Visit The Country’s Highest Mountain Pass
- Take a scenic road trip: Spend five days driving in Vietnam’s north, crossing the country’s highest mountain pass and through miles of spectacular landscapes
- Meet colourful hilltribes: Visit villages inhabited by the H’mong, Tay, Black Dao and other ethnic groups and learn about their rich traditions.
- Trek in Vietnam’s remote north: Trek around the outskirts of Sapa and Ha Giang, enjoying stunning views and crossing through timeless villages.
From Hanoi to Lao Cai (300km): 8hrs by train
This tour begins within Hanoi, with a transfer (provided) to the train station. This evening, board a night train to the mountain town of Lao Cai (the gateway to Sapa.)
Accommodation: Overnight on the train in a soft sleeper compartment.
Routes might change based on client’s interest.
Upon arrival to the border town of Lao Cai, transport will be provided to the former hill station of Sapa. Transfer uphill along the national road for about 30 minutes, reaching the Silver Waterfall. Enjoy the beauty of this natural wonder, walking up a set of steps for beautiful panoramic views of the area below.The adventurous sort can continue up a steep trail through thick rainforest to enjoy some more views of the valley and its surrounding terraced rice fields.
Continue by vehicle a few kilometers further to Heaven’s Gate and the Tram Ton Pass (at 2684 m above sea level, the Tram Ton Pass is the highest mountain pass in Vietnam.) Walk a bit further to get some beautiful views of both sides of the Hoang Lien Son mountain range (sturdy footwear is recommended!)
Depart by vehicle from Heaven’s Gate to return to Sapa. Stop along the way to visit O Quy Ho known for the different kinds of vegetables, flowers, fruit trees and even medicinal plants grown here.
Transfer back to the hotel in Sapa. Enjoy the remainder of the afternoon and evening at leisure.
- Approx: 2 hours driving/ 1 hour walking
- Accommodation: Hotel in Sapa
Sapa to Bac Ha (110km): 2hrs
Enjoy breakfast at the hotel before driving to visit a vibrant, local market. (Note: The market visit may be done on the arrival day, depending on the day of the week.) This market is home to mostly Flower Hmong, however Phu La, Black Dao, Tay, Nung hill tribe groups also gather here. The market offers a variety of local products, which are seldom found in others areas, such as an interesting animal market where pot-bellied pigs, cows and buffalos can be seen.
Continue with a short walk to a nearby hill tribe village, where there will be an opportunity to visit some local homes to understand more on the daily life of these tribes as well as their culture and traditions.
Continue with a transfer towards Bac Ha where the night’s accommodation will be located.
- Approx: 5 hours driving/ 30 mins boat cruise/ 0.5-hour walking/ 1-hour lunch
- Note: In case the level of water is not able to take boat trip, you can change to take a buffalo cart in Trung Do village instead.
- Accommodation: Homestay in Bac Ha
Talking to locals in Bac Ha Market
Bac Ha to Ha Giang (200km): 3hrs
This morning depart for Ha Giang, which is one of the most remote provinces in Vietnam. Continue to the Pan Hou Lodge, which offers breathtaking scenery and colourful hill tribe life. Upon arrival, freshen up at the lodge before taking an afternoon walk through the rice terraces surrounding the lodge.
Dinner and at the Pan Hou Lodge.
Accommodation:Pan Hou Lodge
Pan Hou Lodge
Routes might change based on client’s interest.
Begin the day with a trek to the local hill tribe village of Nam Hong (a total of approximately 4 hours of walking with 400 meter elevation gain and loss.) The walk passes through lush green forests, runs along small waterfalls and offers stunning views of terraced rice fields and cassava crops. Along the way meet members of the Long Tunic Dao,Man Ta Pan, Tay, and Flower H’mong groups.
Stop midway for a picnic lunch in a Man Ta Pan village in Nam Hong, an area well known for its tea production.
After lunch, the walk continues towards Giang Ha through a bamboo forest then down to the bottom of the Giang Valley. Visit a Tay community, taking note of their unique stilted wooden houses. Return to the Pan Hou around 4 pm.
Accommodation: Pan Hou Lodge
Hoang Su Phi to Hanoi (300km): 6.5hrs
Following breakfast and check out, the guide and driver will provide transport back to Hanoi. En-route back to the capital, enjoy a Vietnamese lunch in a local restaurant. Arrive back in Hanoi in the late afternoon.
Rice Terrace Fields in Hoang Su Phi
Price & Inclusion
|2 pax||3 - 4 pax||5 - 7 pax||8 - 10 pax|
|Standard (2*)||USD $486||USD $318||USD $276||USD $249|
|Superior (3*)||USD $567||USD $371||USD $315||USD $283|
|First Class (4*)||USD $582||USD $385||USD $332||USD $298|
NOTE: PRICE PER PERSON
* Please contact our travel consultants at firstname.lastname@example.org to get discount for big group OR special price for children (under 10 years old).
* Private tour for a solo traveler is also available with a surcharge. Single supplement: applies for those who travelling with others but requires an single room for him/herself.
* The prices above are for the ready-to-book adventure outlined in this detailed program which has been handcrafted by our product experts to include the best of every destination. Our travel consultants are also happy to customize this journey to suit your specific interests and style of travel: longer or shorter stays, offer hotel upgrades, or add an extension to additional places of interes
Overnight on the train in a soft sleeper compartment (1 night)
1 nigh at hotel in Sapa
1 homestay in Bac Ha
2 nights at Pan Hou Lodge
Vegetarian meals are available, please request us to serve you.
4-berths soft sleeper train Hanoi - Lao Cai
- Accommodation in a shared twin or shared double room with daily breakfast
- Meals as mentioned (B= Breakfast, L= Lunch, D= Dinner)
- English speaking local guide (for other languages supplements apply)
- Tours and transfers as mentioned by private air conditioned vehicle
- Entrance fees for mentioned visits
- Other meals than mentioned
- Other services than mentioned
- International and domestic Flights
- Laundry, telephone calls and expenditure of a personal nature
- Tips, Travel insurance
- We strongly recommend the purchase of travel insurance (covering emergency medical evacuation) for trips to Vietnam.
- Reservations during peak times (Christmas, New Year, Vietnamese Lunar New Year, National Holidays) may be subject to supplementary charges.
- Rooms at hotels are available only from 1400 on arrival day till 1200 on departure date. A supplement will be added if early check-in or late check-out is desired.
- Please note that all the above services & tours have yet to be booked, they are proposed for your information only and we will not make any reservations before we receive your confirmation to do so.
- If one or some proposed service(s) is (are) not available at the moment of booking, we will try to find other possibilities/options or other similar service(s) in order to avoid changes to the program.